- golf courses.
- commercial landscaping.
- highway sections.
- residential home slope stabilisation.
- pipeline projects.
- subgrade treatment.
- road bend realignments.
- commercial roadways.
Hydromulching is a one-step hydraulic process where seed, fertiliser and mulch are combined together in water with a special, biodegradable binder. The resulting slurry is sprayed onto the soil surface providing a mulch interlocking mat that retains moisture for seed germination. A dye is often added to the slurry so the technician can ensure even coverage. In areas where there is a shortage in topsoil there might be need to apply an hydraulically applied blanket first which can be applied as a two pass process depending on assessment of the site. A full soil chemistry test is a prerequisite to determine what additional ameliorants if any or product would be required to apply onto the site soil.
Types and Advantages of Hydromulch
There are two types of hydromulch processes, namely ground hydromulch and aerial hydromulch. The advantages of hydromulching are:
- rehabilitation of disturbed land.
- improves vegetative cover and soil fertility.
- promotes use of native seeds.
- reduces raindrop impact.
- binds loose soil.
- protects from overland flows and wind.
- improves water retention.
- improves soil’s saturated hydraulic conductivity.
- improves water use efficiency.
Disadvantages of Hydromulch
It can take up to 5 weeks for recovery of the disturbed land to take place which poses problems if the land is further exposed to agents of erosion before vegetative cover that binds the soil grows. These are the disadvantages of hydromulching:
- grass and vegetation established on the site only in the long term.
- use on short term on open sites comes with extended costs of maintaining vegetation.
- site maintenance post hydromulch application is expensive.
- if hydromulch is contaminated there is risk of alien species growing.
- scarcity in native seeds limits options of native species.
- requirement for soil tests can add to the costs.
- the larger the project the costly the maintenance.
- progressive reintegration of the vegetation to the surrounding environment.
- increased downtime between seed germination and hydromulch application.
- Need for extra water resources to accelerate vegetative growth.
Alternatives to Hydromulch for Western Australia
GRT offers GRT: Enviro-Binder as an alternative to hydromulch in Western Australia. GRT Enviro-Binder ensures your sites are protected even if there is plenty of rain. Soil erosion control plans rely on capturing sediment and these structures need continual maintenance and never truly treat the source of the problem.
GRT: Enviro-Binder offers fast results and is proven to outperform in any situation. Its non-toxic, environmentally friendly formula has been extensively trialled and tested in a multitude of diverse environments. So why should you opt for GRT: Enviro Binder:
- immediately effective once applied
- penetrates into and binds with soil and forms a complex interconnected structure.
- polymer dries leaving a durable surface and waterproof layer.
- effective erosion control life is typically 6 months, product has performed for 18 to 24 months.
- supports seed and vegetation growth by forming a matrix bonds.
- minimal soil preparation for application of product.
- cost effective results.
- safe installation.
- waterproof product that is not affected by rainfall or storm events.
- ultimate product to solve erosion and sediment issues.
- achieves total dust suppression.
Hydromulch Case Studies
The following case studies have used GRT: Enviro Binder for dust suppression and erosion control go ahead and click to see the remarkable results that were achieved.
Hydromulching requires tons of water which is not required when using GRT: Enviro Binder. The technique involves a lot of water wastage which is a burden on water resources. The extreme care requires keeping away from the area which has been treated by the mulch, which needs a lot of caution relative GRT: Enviro Binder which is immediately effective after application. GRT: Enviro Binder is a unique erosion control product and dust suppression product proven to outperform in any application and provide immediate, long lasting results. GRT’s commitment toward sustainability goes beyond mitigating negative environmental impacts. We’ve taken action to integrate sustainable practices throughout every aspect of our organisation, from procurement through to our manufacturing processes. Reach out to Daniel Grundy to hear more about how GRT: Enviro Binder can work for you.
Your feedback is important to us. If you enjoyed reading this Global Road Technology industry update and found it informative, please let us know by leaving a REVIEW.